Sources for Statistics
The following pages provide you with information about the sources we use.
- Small Business Risk
- #1 Cause of Major Injuries
- Children visiting ER for an unintentional injury.
- Yearly sports related ER visits annually.
- 353,088 annual ER visits for sports injuries were made by college age patients
- 64% of concussions on campus are not sports related
- Injuries occur at practices
- Approximately 10‐25% of child and adolescent injuries occur at school.
- An estimated 2.2 million children ages 14 and under sustain school-related injuries each year
- The total annual cost of school-related injuries to children ages 14 and under exceeds $109 billion.
- School bus-related injuries alone account for $29.8 million in medical costs.
- Approximately 13,000 playground equipment-related injuries occur on school playgrounds during school hours.
- ALMOST 100,000 injuries every year from nursery equipment.
- Each year in the United States, emergency departments (EDs) treat more than 200,000 children ages 14 and younger for playground-related injuries
- More than 20,000 of these children are treated for a traumatic brain injury (TBI).
- 77.4 million Americans volunteer yearly
- 6.9 billion volunteer hours served yearly
- 540 injuries happen every hour at businesses & organizations
- Half of nonprofits have less than one month of operating reserves and less than six months of cash to help out financially should a serious injury occur.
After School Activities:
- 128,400 children were treated in ER for martial arts related injuries
- 82% of dangers had suffered between one and seven injuries
- Cooking fires caused nearly 3500 injuries yearly
- Almost 50K injuries every year from horseback riding
Health + Fitness:
- The U.S. health club industry serves 71.5 million consumers
- EVERY YEAR, 1500 people were treated in the emergency room after being injured on equipment at gyms.
- More than 526,000 people end up in the emergency room each year with injuries caused by exercise equipment. Of those, more than 43,000 are critically or fatally injured.
- At least half of all runners get hurt every year
- Falls was the leading cause of nonfatal injury for all age groups less than 15.
- ages 0 to 9, the next two leading causes were being struck by or against an object and animal bites or insect stings.
- #2 leading cause of death at camps: drowning
- Treating burns